The clutter in our life doesn’t show up overnight… it takes time. Whether it’s physical clutter taking up the spaces we live and work in, emotional clutter taking up space in our heart, mental clutter taking up space in our mind, or spiritual clutter taking up space in our soul; the longer the clutter in our life is allowed to be ignored or mismanaged, the more it piles up and takes over the spaces in our life.
Like a pot of water on a stove, when the flame on a stove increases, the water eventually comes to a boil. Similarly, the clutter in our life may go unnoticed for awhile, but as the clutter accumulate in our life, the more the “heat” intensifies until we’ve finally reached our boiling point…
- “This is too difficult…”
- “I can’t do this…”
- “I give up…”
- “This is taking too long…”
- “You’ll never change anyway…”
- “I don’t wanna try anymore…”
- “Why should I care?”
- “I quit…”
- “You owe me…”
- “God doesn’t love me…”
- “I’ll never forgive you…”
- “This is your fault…”
When the heat is turned up in our life, one of the easiest ways to see what’s in our heart is to listen to what comes out of our mouth.
The refining of silver and gold is a precise process that requires extensive heat to remove impurities or other foreign matter. The heat is what removes the impurities. It can’t be refined any other way… and the same is true of the heart.
The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the hearts. Proverbs 17:3
Difficult circumstances, trying situations, and pain experiences are what allow you to see what clutter is hiding out inside… all negative thoughts, painful emotions, and damaging beliefs that are keeping you from something better. Refining reveals all that junk through the words you speak… the thoughts you have… and the things you do.
Refining doesn’t come by simply going to church, listening to evangelists, or reading your Bible. Refining comes THOUGH difficult situations and enduring affliction. It’s in actually experiencing less than desirable conditions that you have the opportunity to become something better… but it’s up to you.
YOUR BOILING POINT
What do YOU become when the heat gets turned up in your life?
- Are you like a carrot?… you seem strong, but with pain and adversity, when the flame grows, you wilt and become soft and lose your strength. Do the struggles of the world leave you “mashed up”?
- Are you like an egg?… your heart may start out soft, but the heat causes a change inside. Your shell might look the same, but after trials and difficulties, do you become bitter and tough with a hardened heart on the inside?
- Are you like coffee beans?… when the heat is on, the very situation that brings the pain creates something better. When things are at their hottest, you come out better. Instead of staying a coffee bean, you set aside your desire not to be crushed, and allow the heat to be turned up, trusting God has something more for you than you might see in the heat of the moment. You trust that after all the crushing and boiling and stirring and pouring out… you will become more and turn into something better than how you started.
God doesn’t want you to melt under the pressure you face. He doesn’t want you to refuse to go through what will help you down the road. If you allow Him to, God will use your struggles to make something greater than you can imagine right now. Don’t allow the clutter in your life to make you into something you were never meant to be. Instead, allow God’s refining power to help you become something more and create something better!
What has been bringing out the worst in you? Where have you been blaming your circumstances, attacking the people around you, complaining about how bad things are, or giving up because things are tough?
This week, instead of your circumstances changing you as the heat is turned up in your life, change your surroundings and create something better.
- De-clutter a room.
- Don’t just de-clutter… de-own.
- Start saving money.
- Clean out your closet.
- Deal with the pain.
- Create the life you want to live one week at a time.
- Enjoy watching your kids.
- Recharge your battery.
- Turn off, shut down, and quiet the noise. Maybe you wanna try a little social media detox?
- Take a risk.
- Do more of what you love.
- Reset your life.
Pick one thing to improve in your life. Then another… keep moving forward… making a difference… and becoming more.